Thursday 11 September 2014

August movie reviews - Guardians of The Galaxy and The Inbetweeners 2

Guardians of the galaxy

Guardians of the Galaxy

Wowzers, this film was SO good!  I had heard good things about it, but on the basis of the trailer I wasn't overly convinced that this was going to be anything special, but I couldn't have been more wrong! As it happens the trailer actually contained a lot of footage and voiceover that wasn't in the final cut of the film at all!

I love comic book movies, but I've never actually read a comic, so this team of superheroes was completely new to me. When I see something as good as this though it really makes me want to start reading them!

The main thing that I loved about this film was the sound track. Throughout we are treated to a selection of songs from the 70s. We learn early on that these songs are all on a mix tape which Quill's mother gave to him before her death, and his subsequent abduction by aliens. The choice of songs, in my opinion, is absolutely perfect and really sets a unique tone for this as a Marvel movie. Some of my favourites are Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Swede, Escape (The Pina Colada song) by Rupert Holmes, and O-O-H Child by The Five Stairsteps.

A lot of time and effort went into picking the songs. Apparently James Gunn (director and writer) originally compiled a list of 500 songs, and eventually narrowed it down to the 12 we hear in the movie. Time well spent I think!

A film that I think it would be fair to compare it to is Fifth element.  Stylistically it is similar in the use of bright colours, its based in a similar futuristic scenario, and it's got a great sense of humour. If you liked Fifth Element I'm certain you will like this, but to be honest I can't imagine many people not liking it!

I must also mention how excited I was to see Ophelia Lovibond playing the collectors assistant Carina! I actually went to university with Ophelia, so it is great to see her doing so well! My friends and I had noticed her in the post-credits scene of Thor-The Dark World, but we assumed it was a hint to the next Avengers film, so it was rather a surprise to see her pop up in this!

All of the characters are super likeable, its very tricky for me to pick a favourite. Chris's favourite was Drax the Destroyer, who is a super buff blue dude who takes EVERYTHING literally! Many funny jokes ensue!  My mate Jess's favourite is Groot, a tree-like being who only has a very limited vocabulary, and can only say 'I am Groot' in varying tones of voice, yet has the most winning personality. Star Lord/Peter Quill is the main protagonist, and again, he is so likeable from the start. A bit of a cheeky chappy, but also pretty hard-core. He has been likened with Marty Mcfly and Indiana Jones.  There is also Rocket Raccoon, voiced by Bradley Cooper, who did a great job, and again, another fantastic character.  Finally Gamora played by Zoe Saldana, probably my least favourite of the heroes, but still, she's pretty cool.

Definitely my favourite film of the year so far! Just go and see it while its still at the cinema!

The Inbetweeners 2

While this film was funny in places, I don't think it compared to the original. I couldn't quite put my finger on what was missing about it, why was it not as good as the first?  That was until I spoke to one of my friends (a guy) who had noticed that there were no decent female characters in it!  And he was totally right! There are only 2 female characters, one a bunny boiler and the other, shall we say is 'rather loose'. Not exactly the best female characters for us ladies to relate to!  In the first film there were 4 girls who seem to be fairly decent people at least, and you are kind of rooting for the relationships to work out. No such luck in this one.

Still, it was nice to see the characters in a new situation. To be honest though, I don't think it really needs to be seen at the cinema. Its one for watching on the TV on a rainy sunday evening if you ask me.

Next month I'll be talking about Sin City and any other films we end up seeing. Suggestions welcome!
Laura xXx


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Powered by Blogger.

© 2011 Wrapped Up In Rainbows, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena